Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Can I run regular fuel and add a can of octane booster in my '04 E320? Will my car be able to tell the diff?

Your engine has a computer which will adjust the spark advance to suit the fuel. If you use sub-standard fuel, you won't notice much other than fuel economy will suffer, the engine temps will be higher, and eventually the engine will suffer more internal damage. Octane booters are unlikely to convert regular to premium, unless you use enough to make it not cost effective.





Just use premium, as the manufacturer intended.
Can I run regular fuel and add a can of octane booster in my '04 E320? Will my car be able to tell the diff?
Octane boosters may be questionable. While I haven't seen scientific proof to back up the claims, I have heard from several sources that some octane boosters don't really boost octane levels as high as they claim they do.





As noted above, running lower octane fuel than the engine was designed for makes the knock sensor in the engine retard the spark timing which results in lower fuel economy ( thereby erasing some of the savings from buying regular fuel ) and also lowers the power output of the engine ( maybe not be something you would directly notice but it does ). The long-term effects can be more devastating including potential engine damage. If that does happen, don't expect any warranty coverage as the incorrect octane level fuel was used.





My suggestion would be to use premium octane fuel and forget about those octane boosters.
Can I run regular fuel and add a can of octane booster in my '04 E320? Will my car be able to tell the diff?
Yes,I do it with my truck that needs high octane.Cheaper that way.
Reply:No need on these new generation engines. And no benefits either. Plus - why add extra costs when fuel is already sky high.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive