Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How do you fix wheel bearings in a Jeep cherokee?

Replace them.
How do you fix wheel bearings in a Jeep cherokee?
If you are talking about the front end, not inside the axle tubes themselves, you have to replace the whole units. They are called uni-bearings... being all one "internal" piece. Last time I checked they run you about $140-$160 per side.
How do you fix wheel bearings in a Jeep cherokee?
If it is the front end your best bet is to just replace the whole hub assembly, not that hard. I just completed this on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I paid about $75 each at Napa for my hubs (nothing special to them though and they can go up from there in price if you want something more hard core for off roading.) By the time you purchase the entire bearing assembly, racers and other items you'll be looking at about the same price and its easier to just replace the bearings. You'll need to ask what the hub lock nut size is though, mine was 35mm, a piece that I didn't have already. If you need to get it do so at Sears b/c Napa wanted $20 for theirs and I got mine at Sears (Craftsman brand) for around $4 or $5. Plan on taking about 2 or 3 hours to do it all, depending on how hard it is to get your bolts off (3 on each side) plus the brakes, rotors and other crap that's in the way.





Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive